Pages

OracleEBSpro is purely for knowledge sharing and learning purpose, with the main focus on Oracle E-Business Suite Product and other related Oracle Technologies.

I'm NOT responsible for any damages in whatever form caused by the usage of the content of this blog.

I share my Oracle knowledge through this blog. All my posts in this blog are based on my experience, reading oracle websites, books, forums and other blogs. I invite people to read and suggest ways to improve this blog.


Sunday, March 3, 2013

Overview of the Explicit Default Feature


With the explicit default feature, you can use the DEFAULT keyword as a column value where the
column default is desired.
• The addition of this feature is for compliance with the SQL: 1999 Standard.
• This allows the user to control where and when the default value should be applied to data.
• Explicit defaults can be used in INSERT and UPDATE statements.



DEFAULT with INSERT:

INSERT INTO departments
(department_id, department_name, manager_id)
VALUES (300, 'Engineering', DEFAULT);

DEFAULT with UPDATE:

UPDATE departments
SET manager_id = DEFAULT WHERE department_id = 10;


No comments:

Post a Comment